Modular Shearing Sheds - Pros & Cons
Looking for a cost effective & simple shearing shed solution? The Commander Ag-Quip modular shearing sheds are your answer!
As efficient, functional and safe facilities become an increasingly important aspects to farm operations to comply with Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) requirements, shearing sheds are a common area of concern.
Many operations are using sheds built in the 1950-1980s, where the across board drag was considered the best solution, and now, up to 70 years later, the structural integrity of the fitouts are not up to scratch.
As staff and shearer availability and retention is becoming a growing focus in the agricultural industry, having the adequate facilities to cater for all the operational requirements on farm is essential. A new and safe shearing shed setup will attract staff and shearers, reducing stress of all farm operations and improving the productivity of your sheep enterprise.
When is a modular fitout best suited?
For many farmers, especially small to medium sized wool producers, the extensive investment for a entirely new shearing shed & shed complex is unattainable. The Commander Ag-Quip shearing module system offers flexibility and options, being able to be used to fitout an existing shearing shed, other existing infrastructure such as a machinery shed or a new shed. The modular fitout is still considered a permanent solution, custom designed and installed to suit your shed, and the modules won’t move when in place.
Building a multi-purpose shed or using an existing machinery shed for your new shearing fitout is sometimes an effective way of reducing the investment needed for your new shearing shed fitout. It is also common to build an extension onto your existing wool shed to utilise all possible grating area, and using Commander Ag-Quip shearing modules to provide a safe and effective catching pen & board configuration. A great project that utilised this concept was this 2-Stand Module for Banquet White Suffolks, in Mortlake VIC. More details on this project can be found here!
Modular Shearing Shed Fitout Pros:
– Cost effective solution to a new, safe & efficient shearing shed solution.
– Reduced time on site: coming as prefabricated modules.
– Ideal solution for fitting out existing infrastructure.
– Custom designed modules to fit area available.
– Australian Made using first grade Australian Steel.
– Simple installation – client can fit themselves.
Modular Shearing Shed Fitout Cons:
– Difficult to build around central columns in existing shed.
– Need large and easy access into the shed to bring the modules into the shed.
– Extra steel framework underneath the modules, running along the ground level.
– Limited with the height and hence clearance underneath the modules.
- Commander Ag-Quip manufacture fully customised permanent Shearing shed fitouts. If you think this is the solution to your new shearing shed fitout, find out more out our Permanent Shearing Shed Fitouts here!
Before & Afters
Transforming old pig shed into 2 Stand Shearing shed on Yorke Peninsula, SA!
Revamping old 3 stand shed in Pinaroo, SA!